We recently hosted an enlightening HR event with a distinguished panel of senior HR industry leaders; Shilpa Walker, Chief People Officer at Hollard Insurance Australia; Steve Hill, Group Executive, People & Workplace at Aware Super; Wendy Lenton, an Executive Coach and Advisor who previously held People Director roles at Vodafone Australia, George Weston Foods, and nib Health Funds; and Nick Tucker, Director and Business Performance Psychologist at We Are Unity. Thank you again for joining us.
The title for this event was “How can HR influence the Executive team and Board in driving positive change in 2024?”.
These are our takeaways from the session:
- Ensure you show up commercially. Be a commercial leader at the table.
- Important to build strong relationships and trust with all Board members.
- Don’t think of the Board as a collective. Think of them as individuals.
- Crucial to facilitate the comfort of Executives and Boards with change.
- Change is not always going to get positive employee engagement. Your job is to help with the “why”.
- Listen to what the needs of the Board members are.
- Anticipating future developments builds credibility. Stay informed about the activities within organisations where your Board members are involved.
- Connect with Chief People Officers in organisation’s where your Board members are involved.
- Show empathy and connection with Board members. Show you care about what is going on at other organisation’s where they are a Board member.
- Educate the Board. Take them on a journey as to what the future focus strategy is.
- Choose the model well. A lot of Boards are focused on risk. Tell them what you are doing today, tomorrow, and further out.
- You need a good team behind you. Credibility will be broken if you don’t deliver.
- To ensure strategy execution, it’s vital to cultivate strong relationships with the executive team.
- Developing a high level of trust can lead executives to endorse your strategy. Yet, it’s essential to ensure their full comprehension of the strategy. In situations of strong trust, executives might naturally grasp the change strategy.
- Create insight and meaning. There is so much data. Ensure it is meaningful.
- Look beyond the data. It might not always give you the full picture. Speak to people to ensure you get a greater understanding.
Thank you to everyone who participated in our insightful discussion on HR leadership and business transformation. Let’s continue shaping the future of work together.
If you have any recruitment needs in your team on a permanent or a temporary basis we would be delighted to assist.
Moir Group is a specialist ﬁnance, accounting and ESG recruitment company. We cover temporary and permanent roles from Assistant Accountant to CFO level. We also recruit Sustainability / ESG Manager roles to Chief Sustainability Officer roles across all industry sectors.
Are you looking to move into your next finance or ESG role? Contact our team today.
Moir Group runs many events across the year for professionals at all stages of their career journey. Sign up for our upcoming events here.