“Be yourself – everyone else is taken” – Oscar Wilde
Creating and maintaining a strong personal brand is critical as it permeates everything you do in your job search process, from the thinking about what you can offer and what you’re looking for, all the way through your communications, networking, interviews and execution once you’ve found a role. In order to stand out, you need to think about what it is you represent, cultivate your brand and carry this through everything you do.
There is stiff competition for top roles. For example, our executive recruiters can often speak with up to 100 people while putting together a short list for a client.
So, what are the six key things you need to think about in order to confidently project your personal brand?
- Your professional identity
- Your online and offline identities
- Your goals and values
- Qualities that set you apart
- Value you bring to others
- An authentic brand statement (your “elevator pitch”)
Think about each of these, note them down. That way, you will be prepared when networking or meeting new people in an interview. Have a think about the following:
- Preparation is critical – research the role, the employer, the dress code, the questions you may be asked, plan your journey in advance and aim to arrive early.
- Work with your recruiter to ensure you are confident in what the role involves so you can probe further and highlight what you can bring to the table.
- Make sure you are in the right frame of mind. The way you think influences the way you feel, which in turn affects the way you behave.
- Pay attention to your communication – a strong handshake, good eye contact, not speaking too quickly, not talking over the interviewer, allowing yourself time to think, ensuring your voice is well modulated. Many of these are just common sense, but in an interview situation where you may be nervous, take stock and pay attention to how you’re projecting.
As always, we are happy to assist with any accounting/finance recruitment needs in your business on either a temporary or a permanent basis. Get in touch with us today.